Your feet work hard for you every day. Especially at this busy time of year — shopping, get-together with family, friends, co-workers, school events — when there is no shortage of time spent moving around.
Foot massage has to do with the applying of pressure manually or with mechanical aids to help improve relaxation and the foot pains. Foot massage can be done by using the hands to apply physical pressure on the foot or by using a tool, to promote health, relief pains and even speed up injury recovery.
One can apply an ointment on the foot while applying pressure with the hands. Traditionally, foot massages are performed using the hands, although treatments may sometimes include the use of sticks or rollers to more effectively stimulate the reflex areas in the foot.
Here are 6 common kinds of foot massages:
- Reflexology Foot Massage: This focuses on reflex actions of the feet that help in relieving pain in other parts of the body by manipulating specific areas of the feet. It involves massage techniques applied to the calf, upper leg region and the foot.
- Deep Tissue Foot Massage: This involves applying of pressure more forceful strokes that target the deeper muscle layers and connective tissue. This method is ideal for people who suffer muscle damage due to chronic injuries and stiff, painful joints.
- Sports Foot Massage: This form of massage is given to an athlete before a sport event and helps to increase flexibility and also prevent injuries. It is useful in treating muscle strains and injuries as well.
- Trigger Point Massage/Neuromuscular Therapy Foot Massage: This kind of massage are given as remedy to those who suffers from chronic pains or limbs. This method involves manipulating the soft tissues of the pain zone, thereby treating the underlying causes of pain. It stimulates both the nervous system as well as the muscular system and enhances blood circulation in the trigger points.
- Swedish Foot Massage: This is known to be one of the best forms of massage which involves five different styles of strokes, namely deep circular movements, long strokes, kneading, tapping and vibration to help relax and energize your feet.
- Thai Foot Massage: This is a deep massaging where you use your thumb to apply pressure along specific lines of the entire foot. This method involves the application of pressure by the practitioner’s thumb, finger, palm or elbow.
Each point is pressed for five to 10 seconds until the patient feels pain and this is repeated for five times. This kind of deep massage pressure might improve blood circulation and enhance skin sensations of the bottom of the feet.
Eight Must-Know Benefits of Foot Massage
- It improves blood circulation
- It reduces high blood pressure of a person
- It reduces the effects of anxiety and depression
- It speeds recovery in foot injuries
- It reduces edema during pregnancy
- It makes the feet feel healthier
- It reduces swelling on the feet
- It promotes peaceful sleep
Foot massage is a very sweet sensational moment that can be given to anybody as a remedy. Foot massage is not only to improve the performance of the feet but also to relieve the body and mind of stress.
Foot massage can be given at specific times and for different purposes due to the present condition of the person. Have you developed ache on the foot? Visit Groomed By Elereka for a proper foot massage now.